Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Sketch Cards, part one


At the end of summer I took on a few sketch card jobs, mainly out of curiosity. Sketch cards are a new phenomenon to me. The idea is that mixed in with your standard photo trading card packs there are a small number of original drawings by a variety of artists. So these things are highly collectible and there seems to be a devoted fan following.

This company out of London, Strictly Ink, lured me in with a fun bunch of series including Hammer Films, the Ray Harryhausen Collection, and 2000a.d. (a British comic anthology - best known as the home of Judge Dredd). However they had an immediate need for CSI:Miami and CSI:New York cards, so that's what I started with. Unfortunately, I wasn't provided with reference and only had some poor publicity stills to go from, so I did a lot of repeats.

I did 50 of the Miami set. I could only afford to spend 15 minutes on each card. I tried to move the portraits into caricature as often as I could which never seemed to work out with Caruso. For whatever reason the supporting actors likenesses seemed easier to nail down and caricature. These would have been a lot better if I had some stills to work from, but what are you going to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home